Friday, October 22, 2010

Sizing labels and Swing Tags

It doesn't take much to set me off these days.  And more often than not it's because of clothing sizes.   


I admit this has been a "pet peeve" of mine for decades now, and no one with any clout (either in the fashion/manufacturing industries) is willing to admit to their out-of-date discrimination, let alone correct it.


Our weather here, which is known to be contrary (almost as contrary as me and a lot of my friends) has gone from snow a couple of days ago only a couple of miles up in the hills to 29 degrees today, where the beaches have been inundated with families and their kids.   Nice work if you can get it.


Taking advantage of the nicer day to check my wardrobe, I got out a couple of pair of jeans, capri's and bengaline slacks this morning, with the thought that I could keep those that fit me, and take the others to the Op shop down the street.   Now believe me I have not changed shape since I wore any of these pants/slacks.    Or in fact since I purchased them.


Years ago I used to cut off the size tags.  Now I don't care a darn.   It's my business.   But for once I double checked the sizes on these garments this morning and I found an interesting thing.   The smaller sizes fit me beautifully.   When I matched the garments up against each other - what do you think I found?  


The older garments (i.e. smaller sizes) were exactly the same in measurements (waist, hips, thighs) to those that are marked with a bigger size tag.   Up to three sizes as far as the labels were concerned!    No longer do the clothing manufacturers get away with "conning" me these days.


There's a contradiction here - if not a conspiracy.   We're told we're getting bigger, and the clothing manufacturers up the ante in marking their clothing with as bigger size, and we're so used to believing what we're told about our size and weight, that we don't question them.  We just "agree" with them that we're getting fatter and harder to clothe - I guess what that means is that as far as they're concerned we should be happy with what we can get!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment