Saturday, February 16, 2013

HONESTLY!

Having to do a spot of shopping, a couple of us stopped and enjoyed a cup of tea (Earl Grey of course!) at a nice little coffee/tea shop in one of the arcades that are sprinkled around our small town.

We do this regularly - it not only keeps us up to date with all our gossip, but it also enables us to share a gripe or two, while at the same time indulging in a chosen special cake to accompany our tea. We're all big girls, so there's never any problem of one or two of them attacking any of the others for spoiling ourselves with a cream cake occasionally.

Why was this particular morning any different? I stood at the counter casually deciding which cake to choose, when a very small, smartly dressed woman came and stood beside me. I turned and smiled. She glowered at me and said, "you shouldn't even be thinking of eating anything like that - you're so fat. You should be using your willpower" 

So I did what any well-mannered, well-balanced plus-size lady would do. I looked down at my ample bust, leaned over and looked at my tummy, and turned back to her and said "Yes, you're right, I believe I AM fat. But I'm not rude to people I don't know. And might I say I certainly don't need any will power. Perhaps occasionally a little bit of "won't-power" could come in handy but not today. Which cake do you think I should choose? Ah yes, that beautiful fresh cream French slice. Don't you agree". She glared at me as though I had just flown in from Mars, mumbled and trotted off to a far table.

The rest of my group were seated by this time, waiting for their morning tea to arrive. The girls behind the counter were trying to hide their laughs and were in quite a twitter. After the snobby lady had left, the proprietor came across to me and said, "you know, that woman upsets so many of our customers with her rudeness and we've never been game to say anything. Thanks for saying what we've often thought and felt. You've made our day."
And yes, we all enjoyed our morning tea - VERY MUCH INDEED!!!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Rosemary
    Long time since I commented but as I read your blog I felt impelled to say something. What a shocker of a person. It always gets me how other people can be so mean and especially to strangers. I am so pleased you had a comeback that was neither nasty like hers or tit for tat. A very mature response. The fact that the manager told you that she upsets many of her customers speaks volumes. The cheek of some people. I have had this experience too, but was so shocked I didn't reply. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we all come across this sort of person now and then. It's difficult to know what to say at times like this, although if you're prepared and know that these people are acting outside the bounds of good manners, then it does get easier with time (and practice!!). Lovely hearing from you Jan.

    ReplyDelete