Thursday, December 30, 2010

I'm a hoarder!

It's crazy.   The more I think I'm organised, the less organised I become!   It's true.

I never make New Years resolutions for the simple reason I never seem to be able to achieve them.  However, I (and the whole group here) set goals - it's part of our philosophy of "encouraging" each other, and encouraging ourselves.  Resolutions and goals, in our way of thinking at any rate, are completely different.

Now I've got to be honest.  I do "collect" things.   My best friends say I'm a hoarder, and I have to agree.  You see, there are so many things that I collect which are memory-reminders.   Especially of nice people, of happy occasions, and a little bit of nostalgia along the way.    I live a simple life, and don't travel, so I surround myself with items that to me express happiness and love.

When I move house (which as a renter seems to be more often than I would like) it seems my "collections" take precedence over every-day necessities.   They get packed first and carefully, while other things are either packed hurriedly or else turfed out or put aside for a deserving charity shop.   It happens all the time.   The irony of this is that quite often I have to replace many of these items further down the track.  But truly, it doesn't worry me.

Because you see, for me, my "memory-reminders" are important to me, and to who I am.  For other women, they take no importance in their lives and are effectively just rubbish.  But I'm not a 'minimalist', I'm a person who loves happy and pretty things around me.   So I've come to the conclusion that, yes, I'm a hoarder!   That's OK with me, because that's what I am.

Changing that ingrained habit, is NOT among my New Year goals, I assure you. 

© Autumn Parry, Australia 

No comments:

Post a Comment