Thursday, December 2, 2010

Value for money and common sense!


A lot of plus size women tell me they don't like paying a good price for a good garment. I wonder why women aren't prepared to pay for value? What is it about plus-sizers particularly who can't always see merit in having something made (or buying something that is made) for their size? I know before you all tell me that a large proportion of plus-sizers are on small budgets, pensions, welfare or have other financial disadvantages. I'm in the same category.

Yet we all need clothes - so why go to K Mart to buy something you don't like but probably fits and have to replace it within a short time, because of wearing, pilling, or stretching out of shape, when you can buy something from someone you trust that will wear well, will not fray or tear at the seams, pill or stretch, for a reasonable cost?

I repeat - most of us have budgetry constraints. But I also know a lot of my clothes which are still in very good condition and that I wear with aplomb are anything up to ten to fifteen years old. I chose good styles and designs and fabrics. Many of these were home-made by dressmaker friends.

I am reminded of a friend of mine in New Zealand who makes the most exquisite long nightgowns styled on a Victorian pattern - with pintucks, ribbons, laces on the bodice. Plenty of broderie anglaise and a beautiful garment. She is meticulous in her sewing, and presents the nightgown in a lovely nightgown cover (just as Victorian nightgowns were stored). My nightgown which I wear around the house (it's too beautiful to only wear in bed!) is now more than 3 years old, and looks as though I just bought it. Yes, it cost heaps I'll admit that - but I had saved for a long time to buy myself a really beautiful garment. When I wear it I feel a million dollars - luxury in any one's language. But my friend is frustrated that no one will buy the nightgown - most women say "it's too expensive".

I know you're not all able to even save up for such a garment but getting back to basics, even an apron (a coverall garment that is becoming increasingly popular now that women are suddenly re-discovering the wonders and adventures that are possible in a kitchen!) is an over-garment, and can be worn even as a tunic over tights and sleeveless tee shirt, especially if it has Victorian/Edwardian frills around the shoulders. I've seen aprons worn as cover-ups in the home and kitchen, and I've seen them worn as leisure garments and everyday down the mall shopping garments. I've even seen an gossamer apron worn as a chemise. It's all in the imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment