Thursday, August 4, 2011

Springtime in the southern hemisphere

While it is obviously still winter time here, it's great to see many of the fashion houses bringing out bright, cheerful and cheeky clothing in anticipation of Spring, which is only a few weeks away.

There are a number of plus-size "fashion" suppliers here in Australia, who in my mind at least, seem to be offering garments made from inferior fabric.   The prices aren't cheap, and while the garments look "trendy", once you feel the fabric between your fingers you realise that it is mainly an elasticised el-cheapo fabric that may not last more than 3 or 4 washes.

However, I've just re-found a supplier from New Zealand with the lovely name of "The Carpenters Daughter", and I've included a photo of one of their outfits which took my eye.



Those of us who have been protesting for years about the lack of plus-size clothes that are "modern" must all agree that there's been a change in attitudes of many suppliers.  That's really good, because many Australian suppliers are now providing modern gear that anyone can wear (even taking into account my first paragraph).

It would be nice though if some of these suppliers included clothing for the more mature woman (without her looking dowdy or as that old saying goes, "mutton done up as lamb").   We all want to be modern and "with it", but let's look at the whole picture, not only focus on the very young customer.   And "more mature" these days means women in their 30s and 40s as well as older.

http://www.tcd.co.nz/

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    I love the outfit above and if I could would wear it. When you are as big as I am you can not buy clothes that look good, when nothing looks good on me. The clothes I buy from overseas are made from inferior fabrics, however I don't have much choice there. There are just two places I can buy from one herein Aus and the other USA.

    I pay a premium too. I wish I could make clothes like I can quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that outfit too, Jan. Even though I don't wear yellow, I certainly can picture it in purple or bright orchid pink. And it looks so comfortable too.

    Have you any contact with a local dressmaker who could provide you with flattering garments that would look good? Most of my garments have been made by a friend who understands my body shape and size so well.

    ReplyDelete