Friday, September 2, 2011

The "nonsense" that's going on about plus-size fashion!

Plus-size is a word that has lost its effect.  It is, in fact, becoming a misnomer, because people are taking it to extremes.   When I see fashion, and models on the runway, in size 14, and it's being touted as "plus-size", then I become justifiably angry.   And I'm not alone.

We've been fighting discrimination for decades now - far too long.  Yet, we still come back to the media and fashion industry calling us names that don't really depict or define us.  When will they come to accept the immutable fact that we are:

(1)  Women
(2)  Intelligent
(3) Sexual beings 
(4)  Honest and fully aware of our height, width, weight, shape and size
and
(5) We don't need to be constantly reminded all the time that we don't fit the "mould"!

This is becoming a nightmare.   Those of us who have been advocating a change in attitude for decades (by society at large as well as by ourselves to ourselves and others around us), see small inroads into the clothing market for women of size in todays marketplace.  But it's far too small - the inroads I mean.   

No wonder young girls and women of size 14 and 16 are tearing their hearts out trying to lose weight to meet the so-called "ideal" of LESS than size 14, so that they're no longer seen to be "plus-size".  It has become a derogatory word, not an inspiring one.

Plus-size used to describe women of size 22 and above.   Now for some unexplained reason, and there are some interesting arguments going the rounds which I reckon I've heard all of them over the past fifty years, plus size is now around 14!   Just what is going on here?

Women are women - no matter what weight, size or shape they are.   Yet as soon as a fashion show comes along or a new collection is released, we're supposed to be so grateful to see that "plus-size" is included - yep, up to size 14.

How does the woman who is larger than size 14 feel - say 20 through 30 - when she sees all this nonsense in the press and the current affairs programmes on TV? She feels slighted, she feels rejected, and she feels (again) relegated to the "not acceptable" heap.  And if she's like me, she starts to feel angry.

I read just this morning that Peter Morrissey has said that women of many sizes should be seen on the catwalk.  I can well remember Peter saying in a press interview some years back, that he would never deign to design a dress for anyone larger than size 14.  I made a pact with myself all those years ago that I would never promote any of Morrissey's fashion, and I haven't. Has he changed his mind?  Had he changed his attitude?  I'm not sure, but I hope it isn't because he has suddenly seen the big $ profit-line by designing garments slightly larger than his original limit.  Because that would be hypocrisy and we don't need any more of this, thank you very much.

On the other hand, maybe Morrissey has realised that his attitude of years ago was wrong!   I'd like to think that even the most adamant person who decries curves as being unacceptable, can change his/her mind, and to see the value of curves.

It will be interesting to see how this whole question evolve - because there is a lot of discussion going on, and it would be so nice if it continued in an upward and positive swing.

Do I often get up on my soapbox and shout?  No, but this nonsense of plus-sizes needs some trimming.

In fact I want someone to come up with some better descriptions than "plus-size" or "petite" or ......

I've worn out so many dictionaries trying to come up with some "positive" words, and I send out a challenge to readers of this blog.   Send in your suggestions for descriptive words that will highlight women who are larger than size 14, in an uplifting way.   Have your say on this very important subject.


(This photo has been found on the internet).

No comments:

Post a Comment